Re: LDAP Server Logging

Tod Thomas wrote:

> I have a number of applications going against my Netscape Director server
> and would like to get an idea of what kind of volume each specific
> application is generating.  I thought of maybe asking each application to
> modify their search filter to add a bogus attribute search like
> (|(cn=*thomas)(cn=loginfohere)).  This
> works, but I wanted to know if this would ever be a performance problem,
> and is there an alternative logging mechanism to accomplish the same thing?

Well there is some performance hit with a complex search as opposed to
a simple search.
Another approach would be to look at where the client is connecting from.
Sendmail/Messaging servers will be connecting from a know set of ipaddress.
You can parse the logs for this info. Other applications will have a different
ip address. These things depend entirely on how your application is connecting.

Make each application bind with its own bind dn. This way you will know
exactly what each of them is doing. It is also a good idea not to allow
anonymous look ups.
-Raj