From: owner-openldap-general@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-general@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Giovanni
Baruzzi
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 7:11 AM
To: Bharat Tewari
Cc: Open-LDAP General
Subject: Re: Fw: How useful is oracle internet directory server?

Bharat Tewari wrote:

>  >>>>
> <?fontfamily><?param Arial><?smaller>Hi
> I just read somewhere that oracle has come out with Internet directory
> server where basically its the open ldap server code and the backend
> database is oracle. Now as per my understanding, the RDBMS and
> directory service are two different paradigms so what exactly is the
> advantage oracle is going to get with this move?

Sure RDBMS and LDAP are very distant.
But wer have so many RDBMS applications that we want to use and we don't
have neither time or money to rewrite them completely, that every chance
in integration is welcomed.
The fact that the data repository of LDAP lies in the same Database as
my application greatly enhances the possiblities of intergration. One
can think of stored procedures to maintain application tables while
updating LDAP or retrieving "Legacy Data" while accessing LDAP.

> Secondly how ldap and e-commerce are related?

LDAP is infrastrucutre that you need to collect the data about your
customers, their authentication, their rights, their settings.

> Can somebody give me a good pointer on various e-commerce products
> that use ldap and how does the relational database as a backend
> advantageous(if it is!!).

I have no pointers.
About RDBMS: they are a very good way to organize data in tables. Is a
mature technology and today very effective.
We need data in tables; LDAP would not be the ideal solution here.

> If anyone of you is planning on this direction and can throw some
> light without violating patents, copyrights or confidentiality it
> would be really helpful to me.
> Thx
> bharat
> <?/smaller><?/fontfamily>