LDAP Newbie Question

I am the admin for a growing network.  We have been putting in Linux
boxes for file / print / web / database servers for the last year and a
half or so.  I have been looking for a way to regain centralized control
over user accounts / logins and passwords.  I have read a little NIS,
and just started on LDAP.  LDAP appears to have many advantages but I
can't seem to get a clear picture as to how to get stared.  For example
I can't tell if I can have my linux logins use LDAP to authenticate.  Or
do I have to use NIS and ypldap.  Also how does PAM fit into the
picture?

I'm sorry if these topics are very basic but everything I have not been
able to resolve this myself.

Thanks in advance for any advice or commentary you can give me.  At this
point just feeling confident that this the route I want to persue would
be good enough.

Matt