RE: ILS

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Fu, Jing wrote:

> I remember reading from somewhere that if there is a default LDAP server
> defined in the DNS server, you should be able to find it address or DNS name
> by querying the DNS server.  Unfortunately I forgot where I read about it.

Was it this, perhaps:

  RFC 2052: "A DNS RR for specifying the location of services (DNS SRV)"

This is (as I recall) something that Microsoft's Active Directory (in Windows
2000) will be using.

Going back over IETF Internet-Drafts for the past few months, I think you'll
find a few different proposals that are in the same (or similar) area
(locating services on a network);  the one I prefer is SLP (Service Location
Protocol):

  http://www.srvloc.org/

Novell is using it as part of their migration away from IPX/SAP towards IP;
Sun has indicated that SLP support will be in Solaris 8.

Cheers..

dave