Re: Shared contacts databse

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> >    Does anyone know of someone using LDAP as a shared contacts database in
> >    an organization.
> > The question is, who is not doing it.

> Who's doing a good job then?  :-)

> >    Are there any developed applications along this line?
> > There are more than one could imagine. The easiest place to start is usually
> > your humble email client.

> Netscape 4.61 (communicator) lets you *search* LDAP databases but you cannot
> under any circumstances add to it from your email client.  <sigh>  I've
> given up and added a quick and dirty PHP-based entry sheet at
> http://www.mixdown.org/ldap.  Source is available and free but it's hardly a
> "polished" project.

> I looked all over for a chunk of software that would add entries to a
> directory "nicely" (i.e. so that the average user could use it) but couldn't
> find a thing, so I designed one.

So, what is the suggested/recommended schema for external contacts ?

Does one put them under the own organizations Base DN ?

ie.

   dn: dc=mixdown,dc=org
   dc: mixdown
   o: Mixdown
   objectclass: organization
   objectclass: dcObject

   dn: uid=ext1001,dc=mixdown,dc=org
   mail: someone@external-company1.com
   [...]

   dn: uid=ext1002,dc=mixdown,dc=org
   mail: someoneelse@external-company2.com
   [...]

Or

   dn: dc=mixdown,dc=org
   dc: mixdown
   o: Mixdown
   objectclass: organization
   objectclass: dcObject

   dn: uid=someone,dc=external-company1,dc=com
   mail: someone@external-company1.com
   [...]

   dn: uid=ext1002,dc=external-company2,dc=com
   mail: someoneelse@external-company2.com
   [...]

?

 Ivo Clarysse <soggie@starlab.net>  TEL +32-2-7215454  FAX +32-2-7255113
 Research Scientist                    Starlab - http://www.starlab.org/
 PGP ID: 0x50154325 // A0A0 EDBC 37B2 C574 CC4D F1F0 FF94 04B9 5015 4325