Re: DSE

"C. R. Oldham" wrote:

> Stefan Kiesow wrote:
>
> > I'm writing on a text for my diploma about LDAP.I recognized an
> > abbreviation in the book of T.Howes: DSE.DSE is the root for the
> > directory-tree. But: what does this abbreviation mean in full text?
>
> "Directory Service Entry", right?

The right meaning, but actually...

2.13.2 DSA Specific Entries

The DIT consists of Directory entries. Clearly DSAs must hold Directory entries.
A DSA will need to know the name of
each entry that it holds, as well as the entry information associated with each
entry, i.e. Directory operational and user
attributes, as shown in Figs 2.1 and 2.2. However, DSAs also need to hold other
information, i.e. DSA operational
attributes, along with the names of Directory entries. Sometimes the name of an
entry will be held, without any of its
associated entry information. Only DSA operational attributes will be held with
the name. DSAs need to do this, in order to
link their Directory entries to other ones in the DIT. For example, the name of
a remote entry may be held, along with a
pointer saying in which DSA it actually resides. Therefore different DSAs may
hold the same DIT name, but with different
contents, the contents often being specific to the holding DSA. When writing the
Standard, it was thought to be more precise,
and less confusing, if it was said that DSAs do not hold Directory entries as
such (since their contents are fixed), but rather,
that they hold DSA Specific Entries (or DSEs). In this way different DSAs could
hold the same name, but with different
contents. In other words, the contents of an entry, as held in any given DSA,
are DSA specific.