Expanding an LDAP 'Schema'

We have a rather ambitious personnel locator system built on a conventional
relational database  under NT.

I'm looking for information on expanding an LDAP system to include all/most
of the additional information fields included in our locator.

Ideally, this would be based on MS's Exchange Server facilities, since the
nastiest problem with the locator system is capturing the changing
information.  But since our e-mail account administrators see all of the
changes, it's a natural for them to have ready access to the expanded
directory.

Will appreciate being pointed to experiences in doing anything like this.
Thanks, folks.

Arnold Shore
Annapolis, MD USA