SSL connection to LDAP server

I have been very successful connecting from my UNIX box (RedHat 6.0) using LDAP to a Novell NDS. This works well for anonymous reads from the NDS via LDAP. I now want to be able to make updates to the NDS, but want to do this via SSL using the ldapmodify utility. I have compiled OpenSSL and also stunnel and sslwrap to allow me to tunnel LDAP through SSL. Many people on the list (looking at the archives) have said that this should be possible, but I cannot get it to work. Has anybody every done this and if so, could I have an example using either sslwrap or stunnel.

Both utils appear to connect to the server (looking at the Novell console), but something goes wrong later.

--
Richard Ellerbrock
richarde@eskom.co.za

--