Re: RESULT err=9

The configuration script did put a referral to four11 in slapd.conf;
when removed, I got the proper `ldap_search: No such object' error. So
that takes care of that. However, I'm still not able to get any results
at all from ldapsearch.

I suspect this is because I simply have no idea what I am doing. This
ldap stuff makes me look at SQL and sigh with contentment.

So you have some idea what the installation script is doing:

Using 'o=Cross Sound Appraisal, c=US' as suffix.
Using 'cn=admin, ou=People, o=Cross Sound Appraisal, c=US' for the admin
account.
Current settings...

-- snip - choice excerpts --
Directory suffix:    o=Cross Sound Appraisal, c=US
Directory for db:    /var/state/openldap
Admin entry:         cn=admin, ou=People, o=Cross Sound Appraisal, c=US
Database seed:       automatic
-- snip --

So, as I understand it, I should be able to do a `ldapsearch "cn=admin"'
and get the record for the admin account. But I get the `No such object'
error.

Any ideas?

"Timothy P. Peterman" wrote:

> Ian,
>
> Also, the search filter should be "(objectclass=*)".  I think
> "o=*" would just search for "organizations", but that doesn't
> explain why the search is hanging.  I'd expect the search
> to produce "ldap_search: No such object" errors rather
> than hang.   The err=9 in your syslog means "partial results".
> Do you have any referrals in your slapd.conf?  Perhaps
> your server is referring ldapsearch to another ldap server
> that it can't get reach.  Try starting the server with debugging
> enabled (with "-d 1" for starters) and using ldapsearch -v to
> see if you can get more info about what the server and client
> are doing.
>
> --
> Tim Peterman - Unix & Web Server Administration
> Lockheed Martin GES/EIS, Moorestown, NJ
> mailto:timothy.p.peterman@lmco.com
>
> "Schutz, John" wrote:
> >
> > It looks like SRCH base="" needs yer base...

Company                    |

| "Believe it or not, there's more to being a sysadmin than
rabid         |
| technophilia."         --Annalee Newitz, "Invisible
Heroes"             |