do spaces matter in DNs?

I'm getting different search results in my DIT depending on where I
start the search.

We're using LDAP via JNDI to create and maintain a directory of
document services. When these entries are created the DNs are always
of the form:

cn=ServiceName,ou=Services,dc=domain,dc=xerox,dc=com

however, I did use the java LDAPBrowser to create a test service
(creating a template, etc.) and that created an entry with a DN like
this:

cn=TestService, ou=Services, dc=domain, dc=xerox,dc=com

And this entry is only listed when a search begins at the root. This
implies that the spaces between the node names are significant. I was
assuming that the whitespace between node names was not significant.

This would imply that one must be careful how entries are created, so
that searches work properly. Am I missing something here?

We're using OpenLDAP 1.1.2.

Bill Anderson