Re: LDAP vs. Relational

Tod Thomas wrote:

> If I can get information that I could store in the directory from an LDAP
> compliant database ... what would be the point of installing and supporting
> a directory ?

A directory's performance may be much better.  Of course, it depends on your
application.

I assume we're talking about databases that interoperate with any software
that implements the client side of LDAP; that is, the database implements an
LDAP server.  The LDAP protocol interface matters more than the LDAP API,
IMHO.  Database-specific software that implements the LDAP API, but not the
LDAP protocol, has problems with software distribution and
non-interoperability.