Logging to syslog

I am running OpenLDAP 1.2.0.  I have been running the slapd server using
the '-d 5' option so that I can watch the debugging information.

I would now like to deploy this server, but I have not been able to get
any information to log to syslog or start from inetd.  I have started the
program with '-s 6' for syslog level INFO.

The entry from /etc/inetd.conf is:
ldap stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/libexec/slapd -i -s 6

ldap is defined in my /etc/services file as:
ldap            389/tcp         slapd           # LDAP

Thank you for your time and assistance in solving this problem.

Wes