ldapsearch performance question

Hi,

I'm using OpenLdap 1.2 with Berkeley DB2 version 2.3.16.  My machine is a
400Mhz PII running RedHat Linux 5.2.  I have a roughly 10,000 entry
database. It's basically set up with "ou=people,c=us" and then 10,000
people objects, where each entry has a cn, phonenumber, etc..  When I do a
search with a base of "ou=people,c=us" and a filter of "cn=John Doe", the
search takes about 10 seconds to complete.  The result seems to come back
fairly quick, but ldapsearch doesn't finish for a while.  What is the
delay that's causing ldapsearch to sit there for several seconds after the
result comes back?

Thanks,
Rich