Re: Namingcontext problem?

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, dhananjay kulkarni wrote:

> I need to find out the various OUs and the no of entries in these OUs
> for any LDAP directory.
>
> I think i'll have to get the namingcontexts intially and the keep doing
> the searches till i find all the OUs..(a depth first search etc..)

That's right.

> My problem is that I cannot get the namingcontext of all the directories
> (eg..the Public directories like YAHOO or BIGFOOT etc..)
>
> is there any otherway to go about this?

As far as I can tell, the LDAP servers at yahoo and bigfoot don't support
anything of the kind. Their implementation seems to support the bare
essentials, but nothing more. For example, it looks like you can't do two
searches on the same connection, either!

I haven't found any way of doing something like it on the Novell DS either.

> Base: NULL
> Filter:(objectclass=*)
> Scope: BASE
> Attr: namingcontexts

That should work on LDAP V3-compliant servers. Netscape DS supports it,
presumably Innosoft's server as well. For OpenLDAP, you can try this:

base: cn=config
scope: base
filter: objectclass=*

You get an attribute 'database', with one value:

ldbm : o=suffix1 : o=suffix2  [ and so on ]

This works for UofM 3.3 as well.

Bert Vermeulen
bert@biot.com