Re: 1.2 performance question

At 11:46 AM 2/15/99 -0800, Sumit A. Vakil wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm running OpenLDAP release 1.2 on a FreeBSD 2.2.x system, with the
>BerkeleyDB version 2.3.16.  Both the server and the DB are compiled without
>thread support.
>
>The nature of our application requires frequent writes and deletes to the
>DB.  The search performance is fine initially, but begins to degrade in a
>few days.  Running slapd with the debug option prints out debug information
>of the type:
>candidate 4017 not found
>candidate 4018 not found
>candidate 4019 not found
>.
>.
>.
>candidate 11212 not found

Running with debugging level set to ARGS (or TRACE or ACLS or most
anything) will significantly decrease your performance.

>I suspect that my performance problems are because an id does not get
>deleted if the corresponding entry is deleted.  Is this correct, and if yes,
>is there a fix?

When the search filter needs to be applied to ALL id's within the
backend, the server basically enters a for loop running from id 1
to max id.  The loop reports any id which doesn't exist to
LDAP_DEBUG_ARGS.  It's a feature.  Just disable ARGS debugging.

Those interested in reworking logging are encourged to start a
thread on the -devel mailing list.

Kurt