Email+Name List -> [LDAP] -> Navigator Email Completion : Easy?

I have a list of people with common interest.  They are not only in the U.S.,
or
at my own university, but their email accounts and locations are all over.  I
would like to make this list available to Netscape Navigator users, so that
anyone who wants to use my list can get "email name completion" on this simple
list.  I am running linux RH on my server.

I believe that Netscape uses LDAP for email completion purposes.  Although
LDAP
is overkill for my needs, I tried openldap:  it was easy to download and it
was
easy to install and run the built-in tests to verify workings.  Unfortunately,
configuration of the server and data base files is a different story
altogether---and the openldap error messages are not sufficiently informative
let me know where they are getting confused.  Ever seen "DSA is unavailable,
additional info: can't chase referral" ?  This may be great news for someone
who
knows ldap, but it is not great news for me.  (Also, some of the docs on the
WWW
seem to be out of sync with current versions.)

Is there a "short" whitepaper somewhere that describes what one needs to do to
satisfy such very simple needs as my own?

Help would be appreciated.  Please cc me directly.

/ivo welch

Ivo Welch	mailto:ivo.welch@anderson.ucla.edu
UCLA		http://linux.agsm.ucla.edu/
*** International Directory of Financial Economists ***
	http://linux.agsm.ucla.edu/dir/