Linux + LDAP.. Can it do this ? Is this what it is used for ?

I have a client whom I trying to convince to use Linux instead of NT on
their Network Servers.  They already have NT but the network goes down
and the Compaq Servers crash constantly.  They want to set up 5 regional
offices each with it's own LAN, and they want to tie them all together
on a WAN.  Each LAN will
have it's own Domain.  They are wondering if Linux has the equivalent or
something like NT's Trust Relationships.  I told them I don't think so,
but I believe LDAP will allow a user at one regional offices domain to
access another regional offices domain and resources and vice versa for
their Windows Clients.

Does LDAP allow central administration of all resources and users to do
they are looking for ?  Is this the type of requirement that needs LDAP
?

Can NIS do that ?  Someone else told me that the hosts.equiv file can do
that.

Any help ?  Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

C'ya,