Re: OpenLdap on Irix?

Cong,

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Cong Ly wrote:

> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> >   Maybe this is the wrong mailing list to email to, but I don't think there is a Openldap mailing list anywhere so this is the closest :)
> >
> > I'm having big time trouble building/compiling/making openldap 1.1 on irix 6.3 the configure file seem to run perfectly find but once I try running "make depend" it dum out autoconf errors. And some error 127...This is my first time installing this sucker.
> >
> > Any hint?

Look at config.log and see what it says the last thing it tried to do.

My suggestion is to start with 1.1.4 if this is the first time you're
doing this, as 1.1 had problems with some of the make/make depend things
under IRIX.

You're going to have to do some tricks to get it to work properly for
IRIX with pthreads.

If you set LIBS to be -lpthread, and then configure, it may hang in the
wait3() check.  This has been removed from 1.1.4.

If you do this, you'll get *everything* linked with libpthread.so, which
is probably not what you want (Kurt, can we have the thread library get
linked just with those things that need it, like slapd, slurpd, and the
ldbm tools?)

I'd also suggest using the GNU regex library (regex-0.12 from a GNU
respository) if you plan on using ACLs at all.  I found a *significant*
performance problem with the SGI-supplied regex stuff (regexec/regcomp,
etc.).  I'm talking orders of magnitude (GNU regex == sub 1 second, SGI
regex == 20 seconds).

I haven't yet popped this info on the IRIX hints in the FAQ-O-Matic, but
I'm working on doing that this very instant.

Don
--
Don Badrak <dbadrak@census.gov>              301.457.8263 work
Telecommunications Office		     301.457.4438 fax