cn=monitor?

According to the "SLAPD and SLURPD Administrator's Guide" (referred to
by various man-pages, so I guess too much haven't changed from the
umich.edu-server for it to become out-dated), there should be a
special cn=monitor which allows one to monitor the slapd-server.
ldapsearch with filter cn=monitor just gives me "no such object".
In include/ldapconfig.h I find the following:
        /* dn of the special "monitor" entry */
#define SLAPD_MONITOR_DN                "cn=monitor"

How come my searches for it don't return anything?
I'm running OpenLDAP 1.1.2 on FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE.

--
Martin Eggen (martineg@ifi.uio.no)