Re: Newbie with a base suffix searching problem

I got this from you:

> On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> > At 02:01 AM 12/29/98 -0500, Rahul Dave wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >I've been trying to set up OpenLDAP with ldap_nss on
> > >my cluster. I use the migration(from NIS) scripts to populate
> > >the database, and, issuing
> > >ldapsearch -h sentinel -v -b "dc=eniac2000" 'objectclass=*'
> > >
> > >will list all the entries
> > >
> > >However,
> > >ldapsearch -h sentinel -v 'objectclass=*'
> > >
> > >wont. What gives? I specified the base in defaultbase.ldap and in
> > >ldap.conf. This is on a Redhat 5.0 machine, updated with all RedHat Patches.
> > >(Intel).
>
> I believe up untill recently openldap didn't use the 'base' directive in
> ldap.conf. If your using rpm's (found at rage.net) then you'll see that
> problem. Unfortuately I've been slacking over the holidays and haven't
> gotten to building the new RPM's. I'll get em out by the end of the year.
>

> > You may not have placed the ldap.conf in the right directory, generally:
> > /usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap.conf ($sysconfdir/$subdir/ldap.conf)
>
> On the linux RPM's, this is in /etc/ldap, to conform to Linux's
> filesystem standard.

Hi folks,

I am using the rage.net RPM's, and I am trying to use ldap_nss.

I changed stuff according to Kurt's suggestion, and copied junk to
ldap.conf to see if it was being parsed at all. Its not. I tried
ldap.conf in
/etc
/etc/ldap/
/usr/etc/ldap
/usr/local/etc/ldap
/usr/local/etc/openldap
/etc/etc/ldap

and it parsed none of them. Does openldap parse something totally different,
or not at all? I presume this is why nss_ldap wont grok the groups, which
was the only change i made to the nsswitch file(to make groups use LDAP).

I did try changing base to suffix as suggested. That didnt work either.

I tried lbdmcat on the database files in /var/ldap. I got mostly
empty space with some "@" and such characters. I was expecting to see the ldif
files. (sort of analogous to ypcat, I thought). So I thought the databses
were corrupted or something. But ldapsearch with the -b option worked
fine.

I've downloaded the source rpm and I'm trying to figure out what openldap
is trying to parse. If someone knows where the file is being searched for,
or instead of base in /etc/ldap/ldap.conf what I ought to use, or if the
problem goes away in a later openldap version, do tell me, I'll download
and compile and run with that.

Thanks,
Rahul