Re: Newbie with a base suffix searching problem

At 02:01 AM 12/29/98 -0500, Rahul Dave wrote:
>Hi,
>I've been trying to set up OpenLDAP with ldap_nss on
>my cluster. I use the migration(from NIS) scripts to populate
>the database, and, issuing
>ldapsearch -h sentinel -v -b "dc=eniac2000" 'objectclass=*'
>
>will list all the entries
>
>However,
>ldapsearch -h sentinel -v 'objectclass=*'
>
>wont. What gives? I specified the base in defaultbase.ldap and in
>ldap.conf. This is on a Redhat 5.0 machine, updated with all RedHat Patches.
>(Intel).

You may not have placed the ldap.conf in the right directory, generally:     /usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap.conf ($sysconfdir/$subdir/ldap.conf)

>Here's ldap.conf:
>===
># Your LDAP server. Must be resolvable without using LDAP.
>host sentinel
>
># The distinguished name of the search base.
>base "dc=eniac2000"
>
># The LDAP version to use (defaults to 2)
>ldap_version 2

OpenLDAP ldap.conf won't understand 'ldap_version'

># The distinguished name to bind to the server with.
># Optional: default is to bind anonymously.
>binddn "cn=root,dc=eniac2000"

OpenLDAP won't understand a binddn.

># The credentials to bind with.
># Optional: default is no credential.
>bindpw my_password
>.....(scope=one, etc , defaults)

OpenLDAP won't understand a bindpw.  Note: the OpenLDAP ldap.conf
is for user defaulting.  It should WORLD readable and hence not
contain any authorization/authentication information.

It looks like you are confusing OpenLDAP's ldap.conf(5) file
with some other ldap.conf file.