Re: problem of referral..

>Hi,
>  Since the OpenLDAP will announce the v2.0 (supporting ldap v3)
>in 1Q of 1999. I have a question about referral:
>  Does the currect ldap server(esp. the slapd) support referral
>or not? If it does, how could I setup the referral sites of the
>data that my own slapd server doesnot support? It should has
>a way to set these URLs, isn't it? If it doesn't, how could I
>test the referral funciton work or not?

First of all = YES. current slapd ( even from Umich release ) supports
referrals.
1) "referral" in slapd.conf - server will return this reference if request
to him does not match any of suffixes supplied in database definitions.
2) dn: ref://ldapserver/basesuffix
  attribute: ...
    objectclass: referral
When the server execute search request and this entry matches the search
filter - server will return this referral. The best way to create such type
of referrals -centipede utility from openldap/umich distribution.
3) You can return (if you'll change the server code ) your own referral. I
describe the situation where it can be useful.
 We have a two mail system in office - primary - FreeBSD sendmail and
secondary - Lotus Notes, that supply our restaurants with email. Notes
already has a ldap server. I set up a Umich slapd on our FreeBSD computer
with back-passwd backend. The problem was to connect to search engines
together. After a many experiments I discover, that only way to make this
combination working - is ALWAYS return referral from back-passswd search. So
I just add a string like:
"Referral:\nldap://server1.rosinter.ru/c=RU"; to call of
send_ldap_search_result().