Re: Database format in OpenLDAP 1.1

At 10:17 AM 12/17/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi, I just finished upgrading to 1.1, I did come across a few oddities?
>
>It didn't seem to like my old gdm files in /usr/tmp so I had to do the
>ldbmcat and ldif2ldbm to recreate the database.

>The file extension seems to have changed to 'dbb' rather than
>g(something), my slapd.conf is the same as the old one eg.
>database ldbm

The default --with-ldbm-api is 'auto' which will look for Berkeley
than GDBM.  If you have both installed and want gdbm you have to
explicitly select it.  That is, use --with-ldbm-api=gdbm.

Upgraders should be careful of the many 'auto' options.

>The default install for config files is now /usr/local/etc/openldap and
>not /usr/local/etc/ldap (thats just for general info.)=>should this go
>in FAQomatic on OpenLDAP/upgrading/1.0->1.1 ???

Sure.  Feel free to add it and anything else you think is useful to
the FAQ.

>I have a database of about 2000 objects, the ldif2ldbm seems to have
>slowed down in the order of magnitude of 10 (I had to leave it going
>over night), and remove most of my index lines just to get it to go in.

This is because the default is to sync on writes.  Though safer, it
is slower.  You can disable this behavior by using the ldbm option
'dbCacheNoWSync' in slapd.conf.  I recommend only disabling the write
sync when initially creating your directory.

Another trick is to create the directory in a memory filesystem
then move on a disk filesystem before cranking up slapd.   This is
the fastest way I know of to create large (100K+) directories.