Any Issues when changing backed from GDBM to Berkeley DB ?

Platform Linux 2.0.36

Hi, I tried to do this experiment by checking out the latest cvs
stable branch and compiling with Berkeley DB 1.85 as the LDBM backend
instead of GDBM.
I did a make clean ; make ; make install
Restarted my slapd server and kept the original data which was in
files

id2entry.gdbm etc

Berkeley DB is byte-order independent compared to GDBM and I thought
this might be useful in case I would have to move the LDAP server to
another platform

At the outset, all my searches were unsuccessful
so I wrote a small perl script to convert each of the gdbm files to
berk db files (with the same basename and extension .dbb)

The searches were still unsuccessful

Has anybody migrated their data from one backend to another and if so
how. Also, does byte-order dependence of GDBM hurt. What is the
preferred LDBM backend

Thanks, Yusuf

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas