Re: Unicode strings

The server should interpret the whole DN as UTF-8 (Unicode); at least,
if you're using LDAP v3.  UTF-8 is designed so that the ASCII subset
of Unicode (U+0000-U+007F) is encoded in ASCII.
E.g. the C string literal "a" is the UTF-8 encoding of U+0061.

The C string literal "\303\313" is not a valid UTF-8 string.
The C string literal "\303\213" is the UTF-8 encoding of a single
character U+00CB (Latin capital letter E with diaresis).

RFC 2279 defines UTF-8.
RFC 2253 defines the string representation of a DN.