RE: ldap users auth to ldap ;)

> Michael Thomas Cope wrote:
>
> > What I am more interested in is an authetication backend
> for LDAP, perhaps
> > PAM that would allow pluggable authentication schemes.  I
> hacked up our
> > source to RADIUS as a backend but it's not a good solution
> long-term.
>
> Wouldn't it be more appropriate to support SASL extentions/plugins?

It would be good to have a plugin architecture like Netscape's Directory
Server does. (Indeed, it would be great to have source compatibility between
the two directory servers, although I suspect Netscape's SLAPI API is freely
implementable.)

On the other hand, support for additional authentication backends for simple
authentication (as is the case with the support for crypted passwords, and
PAM authentication) is largely orthogonal to supporting SASL.

-- Luke