Re: Please review 2.5 plan (non-development items)

On ti, 23 heinä 2019, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 4:37 PM +0200 Ondřej Kuzník <ondra@mistotebe.net> wrote:

Hi,
I've prepared a plan what the project wants to achieve as part of the
2.5 stream apart from core OpenLDAP development that I intend to send to
-technical for wider discussion and as a call for participation.

It has been suggested to me that people might want to comment/propose
changes to it so attaching a draft here. Please let me know what you
think or if you agree in broad terms it is fit to be circulated more
widely.

Hi Ondrej,

Thanks for writing this up! In the section about the bug tracker, I would note that the plan is to use Bugzilla for the tracker (as opposed to gitlab issues) via Gitlab's built in bugzilla integration feature.

For contributions, I'd like to see something like <https://about.gitlab.com/2017/11/01/gitlab-switches-to-dco-license/> implemented, so it's simply a part of the contribution process rather than us having to constantly bug people about it.

I agree with Michael that the FAQ should probably just be migrated to using the Gitlab wiki, since we'll already have that available.

On CI/CD, hopefully we can make use of some of the freely available resources, such as <https://build.opensuse.org/>. What we're particularly missing is Windows as a platform for CI/CD, which would have helped us catch the additional bits necessary for ITS#7585 for example.

Azure Pipelines give free 10 concurrent runners for open source projects
and can connect with GitLab instances for CI/CD. We use it in FreeIPA
in our GitHub pull request review process. The runners are fairly easy to
configure; they run Ubuntu 16.04 but include Docker so it is possible to
do a lot more. FreeIPA runs tests on containerized Fedora 30, for example.

And Azure Pipelines also have Windows and macOS runners:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/agents/hosted?view=azure-devops

If you are interested, I can share my experience on setting it up. I
haven't tried Windows images as I didn't need them but the rest is quite
well working.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer