Re: Please review 2.5 plan (non-development items)

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 05:03:48PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
> On 7/23/19 3:37 PM, Ondřej Kuzník wrote:
>> I've prepared a plan what the project wants to achieve as part of the
>> 2.5 stream apart from core OpenLDAP development that I intend to send to
>> -technical for wider discussion and as a call for participation.
>>
>> It has been suggested to me that people might want to comment/propose
>> changes to it so attaching a draft here. Please let me know what you
>> think or if you agree in broad terms it is fit to be circulated more
>> widely.
>
> Thanks for driving this. Text looks good to me.
>
> Eventually there will be lengthy discussions about various tools (now
> reaching out for the popcorn bag). So you might want to tighten it some more
> by suggesting all the gitlab stuff (Wiki, CI pipelines) as possible tools.
> E.g. AFAIK the Wiki in gitlab is just a git repo of markdown files.

Hi Michael,
thanks, will have a look into that. Lengthy discussion might be fun, so
long as in the end someone steps up and helps deal with the resulting
wishlist :)

> Regarding the test suite:
> Would it be feasible to use Python for the job? If yes, you can directly use
> the unittest module from its standard lib which gives you much better
> control, error handling and reporting.

Yes, I'll discuss that as part of the followup email that I've now
actually finished too.

> And I already enjoy using gitlab's CI runner stuff for this (but using
> static slapd.conf generated):
> https://gitlab.com/ae-dir/python-aedir/blob/master/.gitlab-ci.yml

Sure, that might help some, but we'd need the runners setting up and
they're additional infrastructure for someone to manage and pay for. Do
you think that should be spelled out better in the email?

Thanks,

--
Ondřej Kuzník
Senior Software Engineer