Re: Config questions for back-ldap, back-meta, and back-asyncmeta

Michael Ströder wrote:
On 06/14/2018 10:44 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
idle-timeout -> The man page says takes an integer, but is defined as
a string.  However, I think the man page for this parameter is
incorrect, and in fact it takes a possible string as defined in the
back-meta/async manual pages for this same parameter. (I.e, it can
have a format of something like 1d15h5s)

I don't see this. The man page says "<time>". It looks correct to me.

Wouldn't it be better to consequently convert time strings such as
1d15h5s to integer seconds during migration of static config to dynamic
config? IMO for LDAP-on-the-wire those values should always be integer
representing seconds (or milli-seconds if needed).

I mean back-config content is meant to be machine-processable and
cleaner syntax would reduce unneeded complexity.

The complexity is already there, and obviously somebody thought it was desirable for these things to be human-readable. We're doing them no favors by converting to straight integers.

Of course, I would have preferred something like DD+HH:MM:SS instead of this XdYhZs format, but no, we're not going to change the expected input syntax after the fact.