Re: ITS#8654 - Option for LDAP client to bind to a local address

--On Monday, May 22, 2017 2:56 PM +0100 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

Daniel Le wrote:
Hello,

In reference to the enhancement request ITS#865, please comment on the
following to add support for binding a local IP address to client
socket. This is just an outline of changes for one local address. I am
not sure whether a list of local addresses is necessary. If it is, then
a new function, similarly to ldap_url_parsehosts, may be written to
parse the list of local addresses and store them into a linked list. In
my use case, only one IPv4 or IPv6 local address is used for binding.

As I commented in the ITS, since there is no existing IETF spec for this
option, and since there is an existing implementation in Microsoft's API,
we should copy the Microsoft API behavior, to maintain source level
compatibility and make app developers' lives easier.

It would be nice to able to set the option for client tools via the "-o" flag as well.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect