Re: Bug in tlso_session_chkhost?

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:01 PM +0200 Michael Ströder
<michael@stroeder.com> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:21 PM +0100 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com>
wrote:

No. One or the other must match, but the CN must be an FQDN. The point
of alternatives is to support wildcards, aliases, and non-DNS name forms
(such as IP address).

RFC reference?

RFC 6125 which in turn mentions RFC 4513.

Thanks.

From RFC 6125:

6.4.4.  Checking of Common Names

  As noted, a client MUST NOT seek a match for a reference identifier
  of CN-ID if the presented identifiers include a DNS-ID, SRV-ID,
  URI-ID, or any application-specific identifier types supported by the
  client.

Therefore, as I noted, the certcn is immaterial since I have a DNS: value
specified, and it is then required that the certcn be ignored.  The rest of
the RFC doesn't really cover special cases like localhost.  I still see
nothing in the RFC that states what's I'm doing is invalid.  It does appear to
be outside of what's normally done, but that's not surprising.

The point is there is nothing on your machine that says your hostname is "localhost". Therefore, since the subjectAltName of DNS:localhost doesn't match any known name for your host, the cert is rejected.