Re: openldap.git branch master updated. e12ca8b6fed6b8a2526c5c8ee820bf5aa942b59d

Hallvard Breien Furuseth wrote:
On 15. mars 2017 12:15, openldap-commit2devel@OpenLDAP.org wrote:
commit e12ca8b6fed6b8a2526c5c8ee820bf5aa942b59d
Author: Howard Chu <hyc@openldap.org>
Date:   Wed Mar 15 11:13:09 2017 +0000

    Fixes for multiple threadpool queues

    Remove poolq_hash, it wasn't distributing work evenly to the queues.

Not surprising when it was hashing the address instead of contents
of a local variable.  Whatever that intended to achieve, it looks
to me like rand_r() would have done the same but better.

It was hashing the bytes of arg. In the common case of the slapd_daemon_task submitting jobs to the pool, arg was the socket descriptor of an active connection, so this was always distributing those evenly. But in other cases where arg was a context pointer, the result was heavily skewed.

(Also the
hash was pointlessly slow in that it walked a byte at a time, it
could have hashed better with fewer operations.)

for a 4 or 8 byte arg this was hardly important.

I guess I should have looked closer at that code earlier:-)