Re: back-llog

Michael Ströder wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
Was just thinking we could do a quite simple backend for use with the accesslog
overlay and delta-syncrepl. It would write into flat files and do typical
logfile rotation on its own. The backing store would have a minimum of two files
- one for the suffix entry, one for the current chunk of logs. There would be a
configurable number of logfiles, with the oldest simply being deleted when it's
time to purge.

Two things I'd consider helpful for long-time archiving/auditing:

1. filenames to allow of "merging" different log flat files into one big file
store on a different slapd instance.

Not sure what you mean by this. As sequential logs you could just cat them if you want to combine files into one, what does the filename have to do with it? If we just use datestamps for filenames YYYYMMDD it should be no problem for you to cat them in proper order.

2. instead of deleting moving files to an archive directory.

Sounds fine as an option.

I know it's a different use-case but quite handy.

Ciao, Michael.