Re: Supported backends/overlays in 2.5

Ryan Tandy wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 06:33:47PM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>> I would like to see us retire slapd-bdb and slapd-hdb.
>
> How much work is it costing to keep them around?
>
> I agree completely with marking them deprecated and having configure disable
> them by default, but I also don't see a lot of reason to actually delete them as
> long as they keep working without having to spend any effort.
>
> Is there any intermediate level in between deprecated and deleted? Demote to
> contrib?
>
> For removing something like back-[bh]db or slapd.conf that was actually the
> default in the past, and therefore probably still has many users who have just
> carried working setups forward, I would personally be even more conservative:
> announce the removal (not just the fact that it's deprecated, but that it will
> be removed in a specific version e.g. 2.6), mention it in as many places as
> possible (mailing list, admin guide, man pages), and include that notice in a
> release a year or two in advance of the actual removal.

As Quanah said 2.5 release will likely take another year. So I think it's ok to
really get rid of back-[bh]db. The migration to back-mdb is really easy. Keeping
this old cruft and later telling people all the times not to use it would be a
awful waste of developer resources.

>> Another possibility is back-perl.
>
> back-shell? Its manpage advises building slapd without threading, but last I
> looked, that doesn't even work any more. (Speaking of things that are broken
> enough to be considered for deletion...)

Yupp. And probably back-passwd.

Ciao, Michael.