Re: version numbers for release candidates

Howard Chu wrote:
> Michael Ströder wrote:
>> HI!
>>
>> Sometimes many interesting changes are solely in RE24 and releasing the next
>> true release takes some time. During this period I'd love to see pre-release
>> version numbers assigned to RE24.
>>
>> Especially in case Quanah sends out an inquiry for another RE24 test round
>> something like currently 2.4.41a1 or 2.4.41b5 or 2.4.41rc42 could be assigned
>> (see http://semver.org/).
>>
>> This would make it possible to package RPMs etc. of pre-releases with
>> non-conflicting version numbers which get replace by the real release package
>> later. And for test rounds everybody would test the same snapshot.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I would rather see more responses to the calls for testing so we can identify
> bugs faster and get real releases out faster.

I'm definitely the wrong person to blame for not testing RE24.

> In the meantime, it would be a good idea to include the git revision in each
> call for testing.

The problem when creating RPM version numbers directly based on git revisions
is the lack of proper ordering.

But some issues arise when trying to push the source through the distributions
standard build environment.

Ciao, Michael.