Re: next release

Howard Chu wrote:
> A lot of my recent commits are actually intended for OpenLDAP 2.5. A few of
> the recent TLS-related changes added to the libldap API, so one way or another
> they will require a library version bump. The question is whether these
> changes should go into the next 2.4 release:
>     channel binding support
>     OpenSSL elliptic curve support
>     logging tls version/cipher info

Currently I'm not keen on elliptic curves.

Channel binding is interesting but AFAICS current implementations of
SCRAM-SHA-1 still require the userPassword to be in clear-text. So this is not
urgent for now.

But I'd like to see better support soon for getting tls version/cipher info in
the logs (ITS#7683). This is much needed to evaluate a certain server deployment.

Furthermore also important is more information retrievable by the client:

1. I re-new my feature request "Retrieve LDAP server cert" (ITS#7398). Another
reason for this feature is e.g. client-side cert pinning or similar.

2. I'd also like to see a LDAP option for retrieving the actually negotiated
tls version/cipher info via ldap_get_option(). I know of
LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_CIPHER_SUITE but a client may enable different features based
on cipher actually negotiated.

Ciao, Michael.