Re: MDB library naming conflict

On Nov 30, 2012, at 2:13 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com> wrote:

> --On Friday, November 30, 2012 2:04 PM -0800 Kurt Zeilenga <kurt@OpenLDAP.org> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 30, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> However, "mdb.h" seems to be common:
>>
>> I suggest it be installed so it included as <openldap/mdb.h>.
>
> Hm, that would imply MDB is tied to OpenLDAP, to me.

Given this is being discussed on this list, it seems tied to the OpenLDAP Project and hence putting it an openldap/ subdirectory seems sensible to me.

OpenLDAP doesn't necessarily mean OpenLDAP Software package (which this is contained in), it can just as well refer various other software packages of the project.

> Which, as there are a growing number of project with MDB support, would seem to be inaccurate.  I rather see it renamed to something unique, like lmdb.h, which also would match the library rename.

Trying to keep individual headers unique across multiple independent projects doesn't work well.  If various others use this header, they might include a copy of the header (and library) in their distributions.  So one might have say foo/lmdb.h and openldap/lmdb.h, where maybe they are the same, differ slightly, or are completely different headers.

-- Kurt