Re: No symlinks in Git please

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
I think we should not have symlinks in Git.  I does strange things with
them.  In particular on a system without symlinks, but also in my
checkout now:

$ git checkout mdb
$ cd servers/slapd/back-mdb/
$ ls -l mdb.c libmdb/mdb.c
ls: cannot access libmdb/mdb.c: No such file or directory
lrwxrwxrwx 1 hbf usit 12 2011-08-17 13:26 mdb.c ->  libmdb/mdb.c
$ gitk --all
...but this does show the mdb source.

I suggest:

- treat the 'mdb' branch as a throw-away branch, instead of
   merging it into master,

Absolutely, this is just a work-in-progress branch. I only pushed thus far to make sure there was a backup somewhere besides my workstation.

At some point need to decide whether libmdb will really be a standalone library that needs to be detected by configure, or if it will just be bundled under our libraries subtree.

- let Makefile make the symlinks, as in libraries/liblunicode,

Fine.

- make some Git hook which rejects commits with symlinks.

If you wish, go ahead.