Re: contextCSN of subordinate syncrepl DBs

Rein Tollevik wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out why syncrepl used on a backend that is
> subordinate to a glue database with the syncprov overlay should save the
> contextCSN in the suffix of the glue database rather than the suffix of
> the backend where syncrepl is used.  But all I come up with are reasons
> why this should not be the case.  So, unless anyone can enlighten me as
> to what I'm missing, I suggest that this be changed.
>
> The problem with the current design is that it makes it impossible to
> reliably replicate more than one subordinate db from the same remote
> server, as there are now race conditions where one of the subordinate
> backends could save an updated contextCSN value that is picked up by the
> other before it has finished its synchronization. An example of a
> configuration where more than one subordinate db replicated from the
> same server might be necessary is the central master described in my
> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200806/msg00041.html
>
> My idea as to how this race condition could be verified was to add
> enough entries to one of the backends (while the consumer was stopped)
> to make it possible to restart the consumer after the first backend had
> saved the updated contextCSN but before the second has finished its
> synchronization.  But I was able to produce it by simply add or delete
> of an entry in one of the backends before starting the consumer.  Far to
> often was the backend without any changes able to pick up and save the
> updated contextCSN from the producer before syncrepl on the second
> backend fetched its initial value.  I.e it started with an updated
> contextCSN and didn't receive the changes that had taken place on the
> producer.  If syncrepl stored the values in the suffix of their own
> database then they wouldn't interfere with each other like this.

OK.

> There is a similar problem in syncprov, as it must use the lowest
> contextCSN value (with a given sid) saved by the syncrepl backends
> configured within the subtree where syncprov is used.  But to do that it
> also needs to distinguish the contextCSN values of each syncrepl
> backend, which it can't do when they all save them in the glue suffix.
> This also implies that syncprov must ignore contextCSN updates from
> syncrepl until all syncrepl backends has saved a value, and that
> syncprov on the provider must send newCookie sync info messages when it
> updates its contextCSN value when the changed entry isn't being
> replicated to a consumer.  I.e as outlined in the message referred to above.

Then (at least) at server startup time syncprov must retrieve the contextCSNs
from all of its subordinate DBs. Perhaps a subtree search with filter
"(contextCSN=*)" would suffice; this would of course require setting a
presence index on this attribute to run reasonably. (Or we can add a glue
function to return a list of the subordinate suffixes or DBs...)

By the way, please use "subordinate database" and "superior database" when
discussing these things; "glue database" is too ambiguous.