Re: GSSAPI signing/encryption for unsuspectingly applications (its not a bug)

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 03:06:57PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> mikbec wrote:
>> Patch related to "(ITS#6110) GSSAPI signing/encryption for
>> unsuspectingly applications" is more an enhancement than a bug report.
>
> That's fine, patches are supposed to be tracked in ITS anyway.
>
> However, it seems to me that these patches are duplicating functionality
> that's already provided by SASL/GSSAPI. On that basis I'm inclined to
> reject them. I'm beginning to regret including the ldap_gssapi_bind_s()
> function as well; that is totally nonstandard and duplicates
> functionality that has been available in the standard API for over 8
> years.

ldap_gssapi_bind was never meant to replace or duplicate SASL part of the code.
It's only an implementation that enables using GSSAPI directly, while Cyrus
SASL offers wide variety of authentication mechanisms. The difference is
that ldap_gssapi_bind doesn't require any special configuration and thus
it's an easy way to have an interface for Active Directory.

cheers,
--
Rafal Szczesniak
Samba Team member   http://www.samba.org