Beware of Fedora 11's glibc

From this bug it appears there's a known history of problems with the experimental malloc being used in the new glibc.

It appears that slapd is hitting some issues in this code still, even though the other symptoms in that bug report are marked as fixed. LD_PRELOADing a 3rd party malloc library shows no issues and likewise valgrind finds no invalid memory accesses in our code. I was seeing crashes on x86_64; the 32 bit code may actually be fixed by now.

Just an fyi. I've already spent more than 2 weeks looking for a memory overwrite in slapd only to find that the malloc library is broken. I can't afford to spend any more time tracking this down.
  -- Howard Chu