Build farm central node

Hi all,

I now have admin privs on the projects build box, so what do we need in a build farm?

I like the Samba model with the drop down to view things:

http://build.samba.org/?host=SerNet-solaris8&tree=ldb&compiler=gcc-4.2&function=Recent+Builds
http://build.samba.org/about.html

And I like that users can add their arch too:

http://build.samba.org/instructions.html

Code is at:

http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/build_farm/

I'm happy to get everything setup but I need to know what we want. My first thoughts were to have lots of VMs on the big build box we've got, bring the VMs up and down when needed and compile HEAD, RE24 periodically, but that smoke testing would just make noise.

We'll need a frontend to browse results anyway and maybe an admin panel to issue builds or just some admin commandline tools for pre-release testing. E-mails could go to a new openldap-builds@openldap.org list or similar. We'll also need a tool for users to register their system/host with the build master to collect results and show them. And we'll need some set of standard build options to be uniform across platforms?

Lastly, there is also:

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

Thoughts?

Gavin.

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
Managing Director.

T +44 (0) 1224 279484
M +44 (0) 7930 323266
F +44 (0) 1224 824887
E ghenry@suretecsystems.com

Open Source. Open Solutions(tm).

http://www.suretecsystems.com/

Suretec Systems is a limited company registered in Scotland. Registered
number: SC258005. Registered office: 13 Whiteley Well Place, Inverurie,
Aberdeenshire, AB51 4FP.

Subject to disclaimer at http://www.suretecgroup.com/disclaimer.html