Re: RE24 testing

Gavin Henry writes:
> checking db.h usability... yes
> checking db.h presence... yes
> checking for db.h... yes
> checking for Berkeley DB major version... 4
> checking for Berkeley DB minor version... 2
> checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4.2)... yes
> checking for Berkeley DB version match... yes
> checking for Berkeley DB thread support... yes
> checking Berkeley DB version for BDB/HDB backends... no
> configure: error: BDB/HDB: BerkeleyDB version incompatible
> make: *** No rule to make target `depend'.  Stop.
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> make: *** No rule to make target `test'.  Stop.
>
> If it is, the following should say no right?
>
> checking for Berkeley DB version match... yes
> checking for Berkeley DB thread support... yes

Well, no.  They are about the DB installation in themselves - the first
is whether db.h version number matches the linked library version.

But we could put the test for "BerkeleyDB version incompatible" just
below finding major and minor version.  Also I think the texts can be
clarified:

checking for Berkeley DB major version in db.h... 4
checking for Berkeley DB minor version in db.h... 2
checking Berkeley DB version supported by BDB/HDB backends... no
configure: error: BerkeleyDB version 4.2 incompatible with BDB/HDB backends
(or success above:)
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4.2)... yes
checking for Berkeley DB version match (header vs. library)... yes
checking for Berkeley DB thread support... yes

Could remove some cruft too.  OL_BERKELEY_COMPAT_DB in build/openldap.m4
seems to be unused.  And the code which searches for minor/major version
numbers could be a for(version) loop.

All this has been like this for years though, so I think we don't need
to hold up next 2.4 release for this.

--
Hallvard