[Fwd: Re: --enable-smbk5pwd support]

Comments on making contrib modules buildable from the main Makefile...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: --enable-smbk5pwd support
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 08:03:49 +0200
From: manu@netbsd.org (Emmanuel Dreyfus)
To: hyc@symas.com (Howard Chu), ando@sys-net.it (Pierangelo Masarati)

Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

I have a couple reservations about this move. It's got some pretty major
external dependencies. Anything that's integrated into the built-in code
is expected to be fully autoconf'd, and this would require adding a lot of
tests for Kerberos etc. Also, we generally have to provide a test script
for any built-in components. And, we'd need to customize the enable switch
for it, or something, to toggle KRB5 or Samba support. All in all I hate
having to muck further with configure, and adding more tests to it that
just slow things down.

Well, we can keep it a contrib thing, without full autoconf support, but help building it a bit. That will make packagers' life easier.

Here is another proposal: add a --enable-contrib-overlays flag, which
would add servers/slapd/overlays/contrib.c to the built files. That file
would contain something like this:

#include "../../../contrib/slapd-modules/addpartial/addpartial.c"

#include "../../../contrib/slapd-modules/allop/allop.c"

#include "../../../contrib/slapd-modules/smbk5pwd/smbk5pwd.c"

And so on...

Packagers would just have one patch to that file, to do the right
defines and includes required stuff so that it can build on their
particular environement. A single patch to a simple file such as this
one is much more easier to maintain than multiple patches on configure
and Makefiles, which are fast moving targets.

Emmanuel Dreyfus

-- -- Howard Chu CTO, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com Director, Highland Sun http://highlandsun.com/hyc/ Chief Architect, OpenLDAP http://www.openldap.org/project/