Re: SummerOfCode suggestions

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:59 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> > --On Monday, March 10, 2008 8:50 AM -0400 Adam Tauno Williams

> >> Maybe an overlay to implement USN,  like the uSNChanged attribute in
> >> Active Directory<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891995>   I'd imagine
> >> USN support is required for Samba4 to use OpenLDAP as a backend,  and it
> >> would just be handy since some tools/scripts assume AD-isms.
> >>
> >> Just a thought.
> >
> > You mean like the USN code currently in head? ;)  IIRC, it still needs a
> > little bit of work to polish it off.
> >

> > /repo/OpenLDAP/pkg/ldap/contrib/slapd-modules/usn
>
> Actually what it needs is for someone to define an actual use case for it. I
> wrote that overlay up when Andrew Bartlett said "it would be nice if we had
> USN support" but beyond that, no one has stated what "support" is needed.

Yeah, because I've been too distracted on other things, and the
kludged-up reading of the contextCSN and pretending it sort of looked
like a USN was enough to pass my tests (meaning the tests are not very
good).

The requirement is actually quite simple:  the USN attributes must match
exactly what Microsoft does in AD, including being published in the
rootDSE (so i can fetch them and publish them in ours).

I'm sorry I rather dropped the ball on this one.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/