Re: managing OpenLDAP / back-config

Ralf Haferkamp wrote:

For 1. I usually ask my customers how they are going to implement the
change management. After some discussion we usually end up with
text-based config managed with version control. Something simple and
handy. :-)

Yes, I guess that this works pretty well when you deploy OpenLDAP (or basically any other software) at a single customer. It gets harder when you ship OpenLDAP as a part of a product,

I already imagined what your aim is. ;-)

that is also used by people that are not too familiar with OpenLDAP. Ok, one might argue now, that people not really familiar with OpenLDAP should not use it, but I tend to disagree a bit here ;).

It's always difficult to draw the line. At least the approach with back-config makes it easier for a tool like yast to stay away from configuration changes made by a sophisticated admin compared to parsing full text files.

Ciao, Michael.