Re: TLS Certificate Generation section and Troubleshooting Checklist

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
----- "Gavin Henry" <ghenry@suretecsystems.com> wrote:
Dear All,

Should we merge the TLS cert generation seciton of the FAQ into
TLS.sdf?

Sounds good to me.

That really falls outside the purpose of the OpenLDAP Admin Guide, i.e., a guide to administering *OpenLDAP* software. We can reference the FAQ article, or a separately packaged HOWTO document, but IMO it does not belong in the Guide itself. Just as we talk about how Kerberos or SASL may be used, but don't discuss how to initialize and populate a KDC or SASL authentication DB.

At some point we'll have our own certificate-generating overlay, in which case it will be an actual piece of OpenLDAP software, and then it will be a legitimate topic for the Guide. I.e., I do feel that the lack of integral X.509 support is something we need to address, and that the overall topic properly belongs under the OpenLDAP umbrella since it is a core element of the X.500 spec. We just aren't there yet.
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com