ldapsearch scrables utf-8 dn

Hi all,

I hope that this will lead to some discussion on better utf-8 support.

It seems that ldapsearch does'n like dn's with utf-8 chars in it.
see:

$ ldapsearch -xLLL "(uid=dwrc)" dn
dn:: Y249RMW1ciBDeW1ydSxvdT11c2VyQWNjb3VudHMsZGM9Y3NpcnQsZGM9amFuZXQ=

$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

add -u and doesn't get much better:
ufn: D\C5\B5r Cymru, userAccounts, csirt.janet

While 'getent passwd' via libnss-ldap is more then happy with utf-8
usernames:

$ getent passwd
dwrc:*:1111:100:DÅr Cymru:/tmp:/bin/bash

(for those that have issues with utf-8 email, the 'w' in Dwr has a
hat '^' on).

I am told on the irc channel that anything 'strange' is changed to
base64. Some thoughts on this:

* I don't consider UTF-8 to be strange.

* If it really has to be this way then ldap* -D args (and others) should
accept the base64 form.

* This behaviour should at least have an off switch, so the user can decide
on the output form.

I was asked to post this issue to the list for discussion. My own position
is that I have yet to hear any good reason why utf-8 support should not be
a goal.

Regards,

Thorben