Re: (ITS#4991) pcache and rwm don't play well together

Ralf Haferkamp wrote:
On Tuesday 19 June 2007 19:09, Howard Chu wrote:
It used to be a requirement that any data passing through back-ldap be
defined in the local server's schema. Recently that requirement was relaxed. I don't see how you can normalize them safely, without knowing
their schema constraints.
Yeah, there of course case were you can't normalize safely. Probably that feature should get a config-switch (defaulting to "no normalization"). But there are a lot of case where normalizing according to the constraints of the mapped attributetype should "just work".
E.g. we have to proxy here for a directory that uses all kinds of strange attribute types instead of the well defined existing types (e.g. it uses an attributetype "fullname" instead of "displayname" or "cn") and we know that we can savely map them to one of the well defined attribute types. But we are a bit reluctant to pollute the schema of the server (which also host other databases) with those attribute types.

OK. I guess if you're mapping it to a known attributeType, then one way or another it needs to conform to that type's rules, so yeah, normalizing that way makes sense.