Re: commit: ldap/libraries/libldap result.c

Howard Chu writes:
>Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>> Do you mean ldap_get_option()?  It generally returns malloced data,
>> IIRC.  "undocumented" just means the code has been the documentation,
>> so I presume a change will break any old code which uses it.
>
> Yes to all of the above. But since LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT was completely
> unimplemented before, I don't think it really makes any
> difference. I.e., the option was not in the LDAPv2 API or the LDAPv3
> draft API, and it never actually did anything. Why would it have ever
> gotten used?

Mm.  LDAP_OPT_NETWORK_TIMEOUT was implemented, though.  So the change
breaks code which uses that option.  And ldap_get_option() of the two
options should work the same way.

I too would have preferred if ldap_get_option() did less mallocing
(since there would be less cleanup required afterwards), but I think the
right place to fix it would be in the Next Generation API we sometimes
mumble about.

--
Regards,
Hallvard